One man's view of the world, from the top of this great big rock somewhere in the middle of God's Country, with an eye toward freedom....or at least some way to get back down without goin' over the edge.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Virginia, United States

Former U.S. Army, SPC E-4, Veteran of Operation Desert Storm. If you are or have ever been a soldier, you have friends in my house.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Artist of the Week: Lunasa

I've decided to start posting clips of musicians I like, on a more-or-less weekly basis. Why? Well, hell, if Cousin Lem can do it, so can I.

To kick off this new endeavor, I've chosen a long-time favorite gang of five from the Emerald Isle.

Ladies and gentlemen...Lunasa, seen here rippin' off a fast one in a outdoor session.



These guys have been around for nine years or so, and just keep getting better. I first heard their work on a Green Linnet "best-of" 25-year compilation, in which was featured a strong, measured piece of theirs called "The Church" that just plain struck me. They are additionally rare in Irish circles in that one of their number, Trevor Hutchinson, exclusively plays a bass fiddle in their arrangements (he once played with the Waterboys, don'tcha know), and Trev makes it fit right where it needs to. Wonderful stuff.

You can check 'em out for yourself if you like, here, at their official site.