One man's view of the world, from the top of this great big rock somewhere in the middle of God's Country, with an eye toward freedom....or at least some way to get back down without goin' over the edge.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Virginia, United States

Former U.S. Army, SPC E-4, Veteran of Operation Desert Storm. If you are or have ever been a soldier, you have friends in my house.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veterans' Pride: A Message From R. James Nicholson

I know it's a little late for this now (sorry, it's been a busy day), but I still wanted to go ahead and put it up, because I think the below is a good idea.

While on a visit to Australia a while back to attend their ANZAC Day ceremonies (basically Australia's Veterans Day), Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson was introduced to a tradition carried out by the veterans there:
Military veterans display their medals and service ribbons all day once a year in Australia. It's a tradition that Veterans Affairs Secretary Jim Nicholson would like to import to the U.S....

(snip)

"...My wife and I went into a cafe and the guy who took our order had his ribbons on, and the guy who made our cappuccino had his ribbons on," Nicholson said in an interview Thursday. "It made me think, it's the kind of thing we should develop as a tradition in our country."
And so, back here at home, he has put out the call to all our veterans to do the same: Wear our ribbons and/or medals on our civvies all day on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day.

Sounds like a helluva good idea to me. So I did.

But you know what? Let's take this one step further.

I hereby declare this post to be open to all blogging military personnel (former and current) and family members for Trackbacks....specifically, for the purpose of displaying one of your awards/medals/ribbons in your respective pages.

Here's one of mine:



Kuwait Liberation Medal

If you wish to join me in this endeavour, simply put up a post in your own pages with a picture of one of your medals, and then Trackback to this post. I will update this post with a link to each new site that does so, as I find them.

This could be a good thing to start doing on a yearly basis, if people are so inclined. Let me know what you think.

The first link goes to Don Surber, who gave me the initial inspiration for this idea. Thanks, Don.