One man's view of the world, from the top of this great big rock somewhere in the middle of God's Country, with an eye toward freedom....or at least some way to get back down without goin' over the edge.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Virginia, United States

Former U.S. Army, SPC E-4, Veteran of Operation Desert Storm. If you are or have ever been a soldier, you have friends in my house.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

"What The Hell Am I Gonna Do With This Blog Thing, Anyway?"

Odd question, isn't it? Especially since I'll be celebrating my two-year blogoversary this week. Sheesh, you'd think I'd have figured that out by now, right?

See, here's the thing...I didn't start this project with a particular aim in mind.

I mean, I like to poke fun at useful idiots as much as the next guy, but it's not like I'm a political expert. Like a lot of people, I voted for Clinton back in 1992...and then wondered why a few years later.

I've never been much of a counter-culturalist, even if I have taken a somewhat unusual viewpoint on a thing or two.

And, being a former soldier, I have on occasion piped up and said something like, "Hey -- There's a soldier getting screwed with here!"...but there are certainly more qualified, motivated and dedicated defenders of our military out there in the virtual world than I.

And I do like movies, and have reviewed one or two that I thought deserved it....but I've never been a big ol' screen buff, at least not to the level of some.

So I figured I'd just puke on the screen, and the words would point themselves in the direction they wanted to go.

Problem is...they didn't know either. I guess they figured I was the one doing the driving.
But then, that's the kind of thing that happens when you start a long road trip without a map.

So, two years later...Where am I?

The only real answer is, I suppose, right here where I started. Just a guy standing on a big ol' rock, sounding his barbaric "YAWP" over the rooftops of the world.

But hey...I've noticed that a few more people are starting to "YAWP" over mine. That means there's a few more people out there that have heard my voice, and thought I was worth yelling back at. Some of them are friends now, if only in the virtual sense.

And, if you ask me, that's pretty cool. I am now an active participant in a world that, three or four years ago, I knew next to nothing about. That's gotta be worth something, right?

I think so.