One man's view of the world, from the top of this great big rock somewhere in the middle of God's Country, with an eye toward freedom....or at least some way to get back down without goin' over the edge.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Virginia, United States

Former U.S. Army, SPC E-4, Veteran of Operation Desert Storm. If you are or have ever been a soldier, you have friends in my house.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

To The Victors Come The Spoilers (or, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished): Part I

Sorry for the long hiatus, folks...been busy with work, home, and general life-maintenance duties.

But some things have been brought to my attention lately that I just can't stay quiet about.
I don't have time to write about them all at once, so I'll take it in stages.

They all have to do with soldiers receiving their due appreciation and respect for their sacrifices.....
...........not.

-----------------------

For this first installment, I am indebted to my beloved wife, who practically dragged me to the computer by the ear when she found this. (I really must talk to her about this. I'm starting to run out of ear.) Thank you, hunny. {:O*

I now humbly direct your attention to an online journal written and maintained by a combat medic, currently deployed in Iraq, who calls herself "Grey Eagle".

That's right...HERself. There are not many female military blogs out there (to quote the Genie in Disney's Aladdin: "I know...I've looked"), but if hers is any indicator of their quality, they're pretty damn good at it.

The things that seem to have drawn the most attention to her site are the moving tributes that she goes out of her way to write, in what little spare time she can muster, to her fallen comrades in arms.

So moving, in fact....that someone out there has decided that no one needs to see any more of them.

Someone (apparently with a French outlook on soldiers, an axe to grind with those who presently command ours, and WAAAY too much free time on their hands to grind it) recently hacked into her site and messed with the coding so that, whenever she tried to put a new tribute up, the link got redirected to a different page entirely. As she puts it:

When I add a new soldier to the tributes script/program it prints to the website "you have been hacked....Bush lied..." no matter what I type. So while it does not seem to have affected what I previously did, I cannot add anymore soldiers to my tribute. I can delete, but not add.
She has also attracted the attention of several "secret admirers" (read: commenters who cravenly leave no email address with their posts, to maintain their precious freedom from accountability for their spewing) in her comments sections.
Apparently, they figured it would be easier to pick on a girl from afar, rather than stand up and represent themselves like...well, like soldiers.

(An especially protracted example can be found in the comments following her recent post about the Adopt-A-Soldier program. Read on, if you have the stomach for it.)

Thankfully, she is also receiving some serious back-up from many different sources. Among others:
Wizbang!
My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
The Jawa Report
The Right Place
Michelle Malkin

If you wish, you may add to their number yourself at Grey Eagle's site.
At the very least, however, give her a good read. She's worth it.