One man's view of the world, from the top of this great big rock somewhere in the middle of God's Country, with an eye toward freedom....or at least some way to get back down without goin' over the edge.

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Virginia, United States

Former U.S. Army, SPC E-4, Veteran of Operation Desert Storm. If you are or have ever been a soldier, you have friends in my house.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Parents in Fantasyland, Part II: Some Kids Who Got Lucky

Just a quick followup to my previous post.

Allow me the pleasure of presenting four examples of what can happen when parents get it right...

Angela Lipsman, a 15-year-old who was apparently too smart for the Albany (New York) Supreme Court in 2003 to allow her to receive the two COLLEGE degrees she'd been working on since she was eleven years old. (She is now completing her master's thesis at age 17, and her father is battling the New York education system in hopes of preventing this kind of bull from happening again.)

Bianca Ryan, an 11-year-old Shirley-Temple-lookin' baby doll with a voice that can punch a hole in the back wall of any arena you could name. (Tip o'the rock to Jason of CounterColumn for the hookup.)

Subham Prakhar, a 12-year-old boy from India's poorest and roughest part of town who beat out over 16,000 other kids to win the coveted title of "India's Child Genius" in 2004.

And finally, meet little Tony Royster Jr. My wife saw this, and gleefully tugged me over to the computer with the full knowledge that seeing it would make me, a closet drummer who thinks he's better than he is, puke all over my shoes. (If she had waited until after dinner, I would have.)

I can't help but wonder how many other such talented children never see the spotlight because they got stuck with trolls for parents.

(P.S. I forgot to mention...the video of Tony Royster Jr. was taken when he was, oh, around 12 years old. Here's where he is today, at age 21.)